Transition is described as ‘the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another’.
Transformation on the other hand is ‘a marked change in form, nature, or appearance’. A subtle but important difference.
For me the former is external, the latter an internal process. So change happens in your life, planned and unexpected such as redundancy, moving home, starting a business or changing careers. Whatever the cause you can choose how to respond, and this is when transformation can take place.
5 steps to help you transform positively through transition
1. Map your support system. You’re not going through this experience alone. Besides family, friends and others going through a similar transition, your support could also include specialist Facebook groups, books and music etc. Make a list and refer back to it when you feel alone or overwhelmed.
2. Reflective practice raises your self-awareness. This activity helps you understand your emotions and why and how you respond to situations. Allowing you the opportunity to learn from your experiences. Collaging and journaling are great tools for this.
3. Mindfulness “means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.” Jon Kabat-Zinn. This has two key benefits. It teaches you to notice your circumstance and emotions without self-criticism or guilt. It also prevents those feelings of regret of the past, and worry for the future, as you keep your mind focused on the present.
4. Adopting an attitude of gratitude, where you become aware of and thankful for everyday blessings. This is naturally cultivated through mindful practice.
5. Every negative has its opposite, a positive. No matter how challenging and unexpected the transition may be; if you can see through the fear and uncertainty, you’ll find a positive benefit to act on. This will take time, so allow yourself this. Practicing the 4 points above will help.
Working with UnglueYou®’s Collage Coaching Technique™ supports you through the process of transition. The creative approach enables you to explore and reflect on your experience of change from an internal, intuitive and visual perspective. To benefit from this transformative work find out more and book a 1-1 collage coaching session or plan a workshop.
If you’d like to receive these posts directly to your inbox please sign up here.